NORA #1144 - 8.5' Chef - 52100 Carbon Steel
- Blade Type: Chef
- Blade Length: 8.5 Inches
- Total Length: 13 Inches
- Handle Style: Western | Right or Left Hand Use
- Steel: 52100 Carbon Steel
- Handle Materials: Stabilized Red Cedar from British Columbia & Emerald Green Toned Resins (urethane based), black carbon fiber pins, black G10 liner
- Rockwell Hardness: 62 HRC
- Grind Type: Full Flat Hybrid
- Weight: 8.2 oz / 232 g
- This Blade is Ground...
- Thin for Performance (best performance but can be delicate)
- Thick for Durability (tough, built to last for heavy wear-n-tear)
- >>> Mid-Range with Special Geometry (specially ground for food release and glide but blade is kept slightly thicker for durability)
- This Knife Feels...
- Heavy in Hand (hefty, durable)
- Light (nimble, maneuverable)
- >>> Not too heavy, not too light (Switzerland)
GENERAL USES OF THIS KNIFE
Our take on the classic Chef knife. This is an extremely versatile knife that is a jack-of-all-trades worker and one of the single most important knives in a kitchen. Our Chef knife design can easily accommodate both a pinch grip and a full hold. It is a good choice for those with larger hands or those who prefer a full hold on the handle. Our design is also excellent for those who like a rocking motion while cutting.
52100 Carbon Steel
The blade on this knife is composed of a high carbon 52100 steel. 52100 steel is a great all around choice for carbon steel as it is easily sharpened and the fine grain structure produces a very sharp edge. It is also an economical alternative to some of the more expensive Japanese carbon steels while offering similar benefits and a more hardy steel. HRC hardness on this knife is at a solid 62.
**As this is a carbon steel, the blade will form a slight patina over time. This is normal and is actually the mark of a beautifully used knife. Please note, however, that a carbon knife does require more maintenance than its stainless steel counterpart, mainly that it must be washed or wiped clean immediately after each use to prevent unwanted rust.**
HANDLE DESIGN & MATERIALS:
Every one of our knives is handmade, numbered and unique. This NORA knife, number #1144, is a hybrid mix of wood and resin. The wood is a beautiful, live edge piece of red cedar sourced from the Pacific Northwest area in Canada and stabilized for durability. The resin is urethane based and has rich hues of emerald green. A black G10 liner and black carbon steel pins finish the look. Its an elegant looking knife with very regal colors. We like the clean, classic feel of this knife.
Wood stabilization is an added feature that we offer with our knives. Wood that is stabilized has been injected with a clear acrylic resin under a vacuum process. Stabilization helps to minimize, if not eliminate, any cracking, warping, shrinkage and/or expanding of the material. Stabilized wood will not absorb water and is generally impervious to oils. The process helps to ensure your knife has a long lifespan in the kitchen. No wood is bullet proof however so make sure to periodically oil the handle with mineral oil or other similar food safe oil to condition the wood and keep its lustre.